Monday, September 21, 2015

Koh Tao, Thailand

At 8 p.m., Tianna and I took our bags and walked from Nap Park Hostel in BKK to Lomprayah (a travel agency). We hopped on the night bus that we booked earlier that same day.

Double decker.

"Hope our bags don't fly off!"
After about 20 hours of travel including the bus and the ferry to get from mainland to the island, we arrived. But "arrived" is a loose term. We got off the boat had a moment of really not knowing where we were or what we were doing. (I had at least one of these moments daily in Asia.)

We didn't know where to stay, so I literally pointed to a spot on the map, and our taxi driver took us there. AKA some guy with a  pick up truck who instructed us to sit in the bed of it.

Turns out the place we pointed to on the map was the Coral Grand Diving Resort.

We lucked out because it was amazing! There were tons of bungalows (as seen here) and this is the practice scuba diving pool. I am so disappointed that I didn't get any photos of scuba diving, but I tried it and it ranks as one of my favorite experiences of my life. I spent a morning in this practice pool, then a group of us hopped on a boat and headed out. A few people I met on the boat were getting their diving licenses, and a few of us were doing "fun dives," where you don't have to do any studying, prep, etc. It's a one-day dive. After doing our two dives that day, though...I REALLY want to get my license. Life underwater is amazing! Being able to breathe that far under the surface is incredible. Magical. None of the animals mind that you're down there...I recommend this experience to everyone!


A stone's throw away from our bungalow was this view. (Also... Two weddings happening at once? Still not sure what was going on here)




 
 We went walking down the beach for dinner one evening and came across a group of guys having a huge cook out. They had fish, chicken and veggie kabobs to grill, with salad, corn and a baked potato. It was one of the tastiest meals with the added perk of having your toes in the sand while eating! 

Speaking of toes. $10 USD for one hour of someone massaging my feet...irresistible! 


Coral Grand's unofficial mascot who was always hanging around. Hi Henry!


Animals everywhere.

Tianna and I went hiking and exploring and caught a ride up to Dunsit Buncha View Point. We had dinner at the restaurant overlooking the water, and stayed to watch the sunset.


Dinner with a view!


Cat's life

I don't think I've ever seen an infinity swimming pool until this day, but it was INCREDIBLE. It was supposed to be for guests of the Dunsit Buncha resort only, but no one was there and I couldn't tear myself away from the view. So I lounged on a chase and took a few photos.




Sorority sisters, college roommates, world travelers, friends for infinity! 

Walking back to Coral Grand from Dunsit Buncha, we made a lot of stops just to see what was around. This was another neat waterfront restaurant we stumbled upon.

Instead of having a night bus on the way back, we had a night ferry. 

Oh, English in Asia...

No comments:

Post a Comment