Thursday, February 28, 2013

this 'n' that


On Wednesday in cooking class, we made our first-ever dessert: Tre Gusti Per Un Dolce. It's a chocolate cookie under coffee Bavarian cream under crème brule under chocolate mousse, with chocolate and caramel made over the stove for décor. So much sugar went into this, it was sickening. But it was SO delicious! Needless to say my stomach hurt for the rest of the day, but it was worth it. This recipe is the most complicated one I've made yet and the only one I can’t see myself recreating at home. It took the full 2.5 hours, and by the time we ate it, it still wasn’t technically done because it wasn’t chilled for enough time (as the photo of the runny crème brule suggests). We’ll see if I have a change in heart, though!
The bottom screen shot is my article that is currently running in CountyLine Magazine for their March issue. I worked on it in January before I left and am so happy to see it up on the website now. Text and photos by yours truly:
 http://countylinemagazine.net/0313/CL_0313.html
Today I ate at Subway for the first time since New Years Eve. Oh, my beloved Subway. They don’t have Italian Herbs and Cheese bread here like they do in America. Where am I again…? That goes to show how un-Italian that bread actually is, if Italians won’t even serve it in their Subways. Oh well, it was close enough. It’s been over a month since I’ve had any taste of an American restaurant, so I’m not too worried about breaking down for lunch today.
The Pope is no longer The Pope--first time since the middle ages that this has happened, and he flew right over our apartment in a helicopter earlier. So wild that I am here during all of this.
Final update: my friend Laura from Georgia State is visiting for the weekend! I’m going to pick her up from the train station tonight and show her around over the next few days. I’ve been cleaning the apartment, doing homework and running errands all day so I’m thankful tomorrow has no schedule.
Buonasera! 

No comments:

Post a Comment