Monday, January 21, 2013

ATL --> FCO


View from my hotel balcony in Rome



Ripa Hotel 




Me, Marissa & Sophie: Roommates for the semester

Antipasti on the first night in Italy

Pizza!

--

Note: I think the best way for me to do this will be to write down blog posts as they’re happening so I don’t forget any small or important details. Hopefully I won’t let anything become dated past a couple of days.

--

Sunday January 20th:
Hello from over the ocean! This is my first international flight and it’s been quite the experience so far. First of all, the international terminal is so much nicer than domestic and I’m not sure why. There was seemingly a lot less traffic (foot, car and train) than domestic, so maybe it’s because it’s more of an unchartered territory than anything else. Flags from probably over 100 countries lined the street driving into the entrance of the terminal, and it all seemed really futuristic.

When I got in line to check my bag, I noticed the woman a few people in front of me. I really liked her shirt and took note of it, but obviously didn’t think much of it after that. As she progressed in line, she ended up almost in front of us in the snake-line (you know the infamous airport lines I speak of). My dad noticed the media pass on her suitcase and jokingly asked me why I didn’t have one. I studied it for a second, and realized she looked familiar! Underneath her photo was the name, which I recognized to be my good friend from work’s sister. Elizabeth (my co-worker) had told me about her: I’d seen the teaser to the documentary she’s made, been told about her world travels, and even seen the Budweiser commercial that her boyfriend had acted in. It was so bizarre to recognize both of them and meet for the first time under those circumstances. It really made me think about that concept of “6 degrees” or whatever it is, and how often we stand next to someone we potentially know but don’t recognize. Think about how many times you may have passed someone who seemed to be a stranger but in actuality it was your cousin’s boyfriend. Or your friend’s sister. The world is really so small.

Anyways, I hugged my parents “see you later”, made my way past security and to my gate. I met a few people from my program and got to know them a little and then we all boarded. This plane is giant, so the boarding process took forever. Actually, not even—it was the storing luggage concept aspect that threw everyone off. Not surprisingly, there wasn’t enough room on the plane for overhead bags (due to people like me who take a rolling suitcase as a carry on, and then a large backpack as the “personal item”. Oh and a purse. And a winter jacket.)

Shortly after we were above 10,000 ft, the flight attendants came down the aisles offering everyone what I can only assume were hot towelettes. The temperature surprised/burned me when she handed the towel-esque thing to me. It looked like a wet-nap, so I had to refrain from asking what it was for and resorted to looking around. I still don’t know if this is now a “thing” on flights, just a weird Delta thing, an Italian thing…I couldn’t say. Everyone else was rubbing their towelettes on their faces, so…I did the same. Remind me to google that bafoonery when I have WiFi later.

After they came around with those, they came around with dinner. I didn’t even know airlines did that anymore without charging. Was it good? Ehhhhh…debatable. I chose the pasta entre as opposed to the “chicken and gravy” option and wasn’t impressed. The salad and cheese/crackers were edible, though.

All was well in the world until the woman in front of me decided to recline her chair all the way back and until the pilot announced that the Falcons lost (really? I knew I’d be leaving my towels in Europe for extra room on the return flight, but now you better believe my Falcons sweatshirt will be getting left, too).  And on top of that I have to pee but I’ve already asked this poor elderly man next to me if I could kindly use the restroom about three times, so honestly I just feel a little sorry. Should I ask him to switch seats? Suck it up and just tell him I need to get to the bathroom again? Pee my pants? Too many options...long flights are rough.

And as much as I’m seemingly complaining, I’m actually beyond excited (although I’ll say everything I’m excited for happens AFTER I’m off of this plane). We’re currently over the Atlantic Ocean somewhere with about five hours remaining. I’m going to do myself a favor and get some sleep…it’s currently 8:00 pm Atlanta time, but when I get off the plane in a few hours, it’ll be going on 8:00 am Rome time. And I’ve got a busy day tomorrow.
Ciao and bon noche (my attempt at Italian is going to be just as I suspected—an unpredictable mix of Spanish, English and Italian).
Xoxo

--

Monday January 21st
I am so exhausted!!! I’ve been up since 9 am yesterday, ATL time. Today we landed around 7 am and for one Euro I got my first-ever espresso. So strong, but I was feeling alive. I can't believe how much caffeine they can pack into a sip of coffee. We waited around until 10 am to get picked up by ISA and got to the Ripa Hotel in Rome by noon. My roommate and I went out and got some pizza which was delicious! It was calzone-esque, but much flatter. Inside was prosciutto, basil and other greens. So interesting. I took a 1-2 hour nap after that and then we went to orientation. For dinner, we went to Restaurant Ai Bozzi di Giovanni with the whole group and were served Antipasti (fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, bread and butter, eggplant and zucchini), lasagna and the best banana cream/chocolate dessert. I’m so tired I think I’m getting delusional. Tomorrow and Wednesday will consist of touring around Rome…can’t wait!


2 comments:

  1. Leah! I'm stalking you through the blog from now on! I'm so glad you made it safely and are loving it so far! Be safe and have an amazing time!!

    ALA

    Laynie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfecto!! That makes me happy... I feel like I'm actually speaking to an audience now! Haha. It is beautiful and thanks for the well wishes. ALA! -Leah

      Delete